Sunday 30 April 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance: Day 30

#30DaysofAutismAcceptance

Day 30: 

Talk with pride. Are you proud to be autistic? How do you show the world your pride?

So, we're finally here: the final day!

I am definitely proud to be autistic! I wouldn't change it for the world; as I said in previous posts, if a cure was offered I would never take it. I am me, I accept who I am and how I'm wired, and I wouldn't have it any other way! Yes, there are difficulties that being autistic brings, but so much of that could be alleviated and eliminated if the world accepted us as we are and accommodated us. Also if they accepted that we don't want to be "cured"; we're not diseased or anything like that.

How do I show the world my pride? By sharing with people the positives and by not kowtowing to NT norms that don't make sense, by being me and not changing who I am just to fit other people. By supporting organisations that accept and help us, that include us and are autistic-led (such as the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network and the Autism Women's Association), and speaking out against and rejecting those that promote hatred of and reject us (such as Autism $peaks). By accepting and working with the difficulties rather than fighting them.

There's probably more I could say, but I'm exhausted. I may return to this in future, depending on how the mood takes me and if anything that occurs prompts me to.

This concludes my 30DaysofAutismAcceptance posting marathon., at least for 2017.

Questions are always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment