Monday 17 April 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance: Day 17

#30DaysofAutismAcceptance

Day 17: 

Talk about empathy.  Many people think autistics do not have empathy.  What’s your experience with empathy?  Are you hyper empathic or not empathic at all? 

I'll be honest, I've not really thought about empathy - there have been so many things to think and read about, and the subject of empathy hasn't really come under my radar, so I'm not sure if there's much I can say at this point.

That said, people who claim that autistics don't have empathy, as a blanket statement, don't really know what they're talking about. I know I have empathy and I know plenty of other autistics who do. Some don't, but then some NTs don't have empathy. We don't always show it in the same way as NTs, but we can have it, same as NTs.

I wouldn't say I fall into either camp of hyper-empathetic or not-empathetic.

This one I really don't know, so I'm going to come back to it at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment