Thursday 13 April 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance: Day 13

#30DaysofAutismAcceptance

Day 13: 

Talk about something funny.  Has anything humorous or ironic ever happened to you because you were autistic?

I've had a few incidents that spring to mind! They generally stem from misunderstandings of language due to the literal mindset of us autistics. I think my favourite was the phrase "pull up your socks". When I was a young child I didn't have a clue what it meant so my mum had to explain it to me. After that whenever anyone said it I took great delight in dramatically pulling up my socks!

On one occasion I was going down the street with Gideon and a couple of his friends and one of them said something about someone "talking through their hat"; I'd never come across that phrase and was so completely baffled by it!

There are probably a few other things, but I'll have to think about them and maybe edit this post in the future, or do another.

Sorry this is short but I've had a really hectic day - out all day in Brixham (it's near Torquay), then barely had a chance to eat dinner before I had to leave again for Mass of the Lord's Supper at church. I've not been back that long. In addition to that, my granny died last night. (I'm OK; she'd been very frail and almost constantly sleeping for some time now, and went into a care home last May, and she was 95 so it was something we'd been waiting for for a while.)

No comments:

Post a Comment